Captain Hook jailed for 20-yr child sex terror (08.03.97)

Daily Mirror, 8th March 1997

Mirror080397

Advertisements
2 comments
  1. Troyhand said:

    Alan Langshaw

    http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Bryn+Estyn…+what+you+need+to+know.-a0307709647
    Daily Post (Conwy, Wales) – November 8, 2012
    Bryn Estyn… what you need to know

    Q What was the Waterhouse inquiry? A The Waterhouse Inquiry was set up by then Welsh Secretary William Hague following continuing speculation in North Wales about the level of abuse that had been suffered by children living in care in the area.

    Retired High Court judge Sir Ronald Waterh1ouse was appointed to head the judicial inquiry examining allegations of abuse of children in care in the former county council areas of Clwyd and Gwynedd since 1974. When announcing the inquiry, the report noted that Mr Hague referred to the fact that it had been known for “several years” that serious sexual and physical abuse of children had taken place in homes managed by the then Clwyd County Council in the 1970s and 1980s.

    Q How did it come about? A In February 1986 former social worker Alison Taylor complained of physical abuse at the children’s home Ty’r Felin, but was sacked for her troubles.

    Ms Taylor pursued her complaints with Prime Minister Thatcher, although was repeatedly told by then Welsh Office Minister, Sir Wyn Roberts, it was a council and not a Welsh Office matter.

    In former Clwyd in June 1990, a 14-year-old boy resident at Cartrefle children’s home in Broughton, near Chester, complained of being sexually abused by the home’s head, Stephen Norris, who was arrested and jailed by Chester Crown Court prompting a report to a Clwyd social services sub committee.

    It drew attention to the fact that three people – two of them social services care workers – had been convicted of indecency offences with a youth who was resident at a Clwyd children’s home – but outside the home. The allegations had been known to Clwyd’s social services since December 1985.

    The judge had asked the authority to investigate how two such people came to be employed by social services. Incredibly, that report was only given to councillors when the Norris trial hit the headlines.

    Norris’s career had begun at an approved school in Cheshire, Greystone Heath. A colleague there, Alan Langshaw, was later convicted of sexual offences against boys in his care and jailed for 10 years. He moved from there to former approved school Bryn Estyn at Wrexham.

    The Norris case triggered unease amongst councillors, particularly former social services chairman, Cllr Malcolm King and Dennis Parry, who were both picking up disturbing allegations. The police were called in and launched a huge inquiry.

    Norris was prosecuted again admitting sexual offences against six boys in his care.

    Peter Howarth, Bryn Estyn’s deputy head, was also sentenced at Chester Crown Court to 10 years for alleged abuse in July 1994 and he died in prison of a heart attack in 1997.

    In February 1995, John Allen, who ran the privately-owned Bryn Alyn home near Wrexham, was jailed for six years for sexually abusing six boys in his care.

    After these convictions, and with rumours the whole truth had still not emerged, Clwyd launched its own inquiry headed by John Jillings. That 1996 report never saw the public light of day. Reports persisted and by June 1996, new Welsh Secretary William Hague announced a full public inquiry to lay the allegations to rest.

    Q How long did the inquiry last for? A North Wales Police began the investigation in 1991. About 2,600 statements were obtained from individuals resulting in eight prosecutions and seven convictions of former care workers. The three-year inquiry, set up in 1996, sat for more than 200 days and heard evidence from 259 complainants, of whom 129 gave oral testimony.

    Q When did the inquiry conclude? A Lost in Care was published in February 2000 and concluded widespread sexual abuse of boys had occurred in children’s residential establishments in Clwyd between 1974 and 1990. The inquiry added that there were some incidents of sexual abuse of girls in these establishments but they were comparatively rare.

    Although the extent of abuse of children in care in Gwynedd was much less than it was in Clwyd, the failings in practice were of a similar order or degree, the report found.

    But nevertheless, speculation continued in North Wales that the actual abuse was on a much greater scale than the convictions themselves suggested, the report noted.

    The inquiry’s 72 recommendations included creating a Children’s Commissioner in Wales. A decade after publication, health officials and politicians met to discuss progress in implementing the recommendations.

    Q Why has it been so openly criticised? A The inquiry was criticised for being too narrow in focus and only investigating allegations that pertained to staff in the local care home environment and excluded allegations against other prominent figures in society or outsiders.

    Q Were there any other criticisms? A In October 2002 North Wales Police was accused of developing extraordinarily bad and dangerous police practice for dealing with sex abuse allegations at children’s homes by the Home Affairs Committee.

    MPs singled out the technique known to its critics as “trawling”, where suspected abuse victims were contacted for allegations with the possibility of compensation which could generate false allegations.

    But Ms Taylor rejected the findings. She said: “My experience is that those kids making allegations had to fight tooth and nail to make themselves heard.

    “At that time anyone with a criminal conviction could not get compensation. I would have to disagree with the committee.”

    Q So what is going to happen now? A Home Secretary Theresa May has announced a National Crime Agency investigation into abuse in children’s homes in North Wales in the 1970s and 1980s, to report back by April. It will run alongside a separate judge-led review of the original Waterhouse Inquiry.

  2. Troyhand said:

    Edward Stanton

    http://www.juicefm.com/news/local/man-jailed-for-child-porn-offences/
    Juice FM – February 22nd 2013
    Man jailed for child porn offences

    A man has been jailed for 16 months after being found with a stash of child porn.

    Edward Stanton, 61, from Grafton Street, Dingle was arrested after his home was raided on March 10th last year.

    His arrest came after an innocent cookery website was hijacked by perverts who uploaded thousands of images of child porn onto it.

    The owners of “Build-a-Recipe” realised something was amiss because of the “monumental increase” in traffic to the site and after 18 hours, when they discovered to their horror what had happened, they immediately pulled the plug.

    The site owners kept all the data and images and details of those who had accessed the photographs, and passed it on to the police.

    Among those tracked down was Stanton, a former residential careworker who had been jailed for 13 years in 1996 for sexually abusing young boys.

    A total of 35,000 images were found.

    Stanton, having pleaded guilty to 20 offences involving downloading and possessing indecent images between may 2008 and march last year, has also been ordered to sign the sex offenders register for ten years.

%d bloggers like this: