Islington child abuse victim: Why I won’t talk to the Town Hall inquiry into Jimmy Savile link (11.04.14)

Islington Tribune, 11th April 2014

by Andrew Johnson

VICTIMS of child abuse in Islington are unlikely to cooperate with any new inquiry by the Town Hall into allegations that Jimmy Savile was involved in the abuse scandal which rocked the borough 20 years ago.

Last month, Education Secretary Michael Gove ordered Islington to investigate information uncovered in the historic police inquiry which links Savile to children’s homes in the borough in the 1960s, 70s and 80s.

But former abuse victims say they have no trust in the Town Hall, which has “lost” all the records, and would only speak to an independent inquiry.

It is understood that at least one former victim is “in litigation” with the Town Hall.

Despite recognition that a huge paedophile ring preyed on Islington children’s homes in the 1970s and 1980s no one has ever been prosecuted and all the records of the homes and the names of the children who went to them have been “lost”.

The saga has infamously dogged the former leader of Islington Council, Margaret Hodge, who went on to be children’s minister in Tony Blair’s government. She was criticised for not taking the allegations seriously enough when they first surfaced in the 1990s.

At the weekend she issued an apology, telling the Sunday Telegraph: “I have apologised a number of times over the last 10 years for our failure to understand about child abuse and take children’s voices seriously in the 80s.

“I am sorry. Our naivety was shameful and I’m really glad we’ve learned since then the importance of listening to the voices of children who have been abused.”

The scandal is now haunting her son-in-law, Councillor Joe Caluori, who is in charge of children and families at the council. But Town Hall chiefs insist he will play no role in the new inquiry and that an independent person would oversee any investigation.

Mr Gove failed to state which children’s home Savile is alleged to have been involved with in Islington, and there is some frustration at the Town Hall that they have been given scant information to work on.

One home, Conewood Street children’s home, became notorious when the scandal was first exposed.

Jason Swift, 14, who was abducted in King’s Cross in 1985 and gang raped, is believed to have lived there. He died during his ordeal and a number of men, predominantly based in Hackney, were subsequently jailed for his death, including Sidney Cooke who was given 19 years for manslaughter in 1989.

He is still in prison following further convictions in 1999. It has recently been alleged that Cooke may have provided victims for Savile.

margaret hodge MP

Margaret Hodge, the former leader of Islington Council

The 14 inquiries already held into the abuse claims in Islington have established that paedophiles operated in all of Islington’s then 24 homes.

But no one has ever been prosecuted. Campaigners point out that former staff members who left the Town Hall during the inquiry have never been questioned. Some are still involved in children’s services in other parts of the country.

Dr Liz Davies, a whistleblower in the 1990s who is now a reader in child protection at London Metropolitan University, in Holloway, told the Tribune: “Although there were 14 previous inquiries, attendance was voluntary and no one was called to provide evidence. Some staff left their posts and went abroad and did not return until the inquiries were finished.

“Numbers of staff who have never been accountable went on to gain senior posts in social services and other agencies. They have never provided any account of their role within Islington children’s services at the time when the abuse network was identified.”

Former abuse victim Demetrious Panton, who is now a lawyer, told the Tribune that he would not speak to any Islington-led inquiry.

“The individuals who could have shed light on what happened are either in litigation with Islington over the issue, or far too scared and traumatised,” he said.

He added that he had been told by other abuse victims of Savile’s connection to Islington. But added: “I’d be willing to talk to an independent body but I’m not going to engage with the borough of Islington.

“There are a lot of individuals I know, abuse survivors, who have not yet contacted Islington or the police about what they know. There is a real lack of trust.”

A Town Hall spokeswoman said: “Eleanor Schooling, the council’s director of children’s services, has been asked by the Department for Education to oversee the investigation.

She will appoint an experienced, independent professional from outside the council to lead it.

“Our investigation will follow the clear and detailed guidance provided to us, and we will then submit a draft report to Lucy Scott-Moncrieff, who has been appointed by the DfE to provide the Secretary of State for Education with assurance that all of the investigations are robust and thorough.

“Elected members are never involved in any individual child protection investigations, and this is no different.

“The DfE was not able to provide the name of the children’s home in Islington where the complainant lived – this will be part of the inquiries to be made by the independent investigator.”

‘This will not go away’

DR Liz Davies said in a statement this week:
“The investigation into this home must be independent of Islington. Since last week I have received a number of calls from care leavers/survivors and I do not know which authorities to refer them to as no one is currently investigating the historic crimes that took place in Islington children’s homes.

“These survivors need to be able to speak to sympathetic and knowledgeable professionals from the police and children’s services who can investigate all allegations thoroughly.

“An independent, specialist team needs to be established in order to seek justice for these adults who were children in the care of this authority.

“This matter will not go away. It is too vast. Too many children were harmed and now as adults they live with the horrific memories of their experiences in the care system. Their cases have largely remained unresolved and unheard.

“One day something remarkable will happen. I will be invited to speak with an independent investigative team and will be able to represent the interests of those children I worked with in the 90s as well as those care leavers who have contacted me in subsequent years. I don’t think this is too much to ask.”

  1. Troyhand said:
    Islington Tribune – 7 March 2008
    Care worker linked to Jersey abuse home
    by TOM FOOT

    DETECTIVES investigating sinister discoveries in a Jersey children’s home have not ruled out links with a former Islington paedophile ring.

    The skull of a child was found in the grounds of Channel Islands youth hostel Haut de la Garenne last month and 160 alleged victims of abuse have since come forward.

    Jersey police told the Tribune they were aware of a list of associates of Nicholas Rabet.

    The former deputy superintendent of Conewood Street children’s home in Grosvenor Avenue, born and raised in Jersey, fled to Asia following an investigation into child abuse in 12 Islington care homes during the mid-1990s.

    The 57-year-old committed suicide in 2006 awaiting sentence for multiple sex charges in Thailand.

    The police probe follows revelations by investigative journalist Eileen Fairweather, who exposed the Islington child abuse scandal about links between Rabet and the current Jersey investigation. She believes care workers in Islington were grooming children for pornographic films and recruiting them for abuse in Jersey.

    A Jersey police spokesman told the Tribune: “We are not naming suspects, either alive or dead, as a matter of policy. Names have been put forward to us and we will be adding them to our list of inquiries.”

    Councillor Ursula Woolley, Islington’s chief executive for children and young people, said: “Should these investigations reveal any link with Islington, we will investigate and take action.”

    Rabet was born in Jersey where he forged links with Neil Hocquart who was found guilty of child abuse with another social worker from Jersey, and together they regularly took children to a home in Sussex.

    Police found indecent images of a 10-year-old boy once in the care of Islington Social Services.

    Following an inquiry, Rabet fled to Thailand where he was later charged with abusing 30 boys, some as young as six. He died of a drugs overdose aged 57.

    In a national Sunday newspaper, Ms Fairweather reported two other Jersey-born Islington care workers, who cannot be named for legal reasons, who are believed to have sent children to Rabet’s centre.

    Many have not been prosecuted despite overwhelming evidence against them, she claims.

    DC Cook, who investigated the Islington care homes’ abuse and is helping Jersey police with their investigations, told Ms Fairweather: “I’ve thought about Rabet all week.

    “The hierarchy does not like these inquiries.”

    • PLEASE NOTE there is a mistake in the above article from Islington Tribune.

      Nick Rabet did not work at Conewood Street. He was deputy superintendent of 114 Grosvenor Avenue, which was a separate London Borough of Islington children’s home.

  2. Troyhand said:,2667066
    The Nation [Thailand] – 13 May 2006
    Alleged child-molester found dead

    A Briton charged with molesting a boy was found dead at his home in Pattaya yesterday, apparently from suicide.

    Nicholas John Rabet, 57, was found in his bed with a plastic bag over his head and his hands handcuffed behind his back, Lt-Colonel Aomsin Sukkarnkha, of Pattaya Police Station said.

    A note was found on a desk outside the bedroom in which Rabet said suicide was his only option, Aomsin said.

    Rabet also thanked his friends and asked that a lawyer identified as “Ann” be contacted, the officer said, adding that there were no signs of a struggle. Rabet had recently been released on bail and was sentenced to stand trial on April 29 on charges of molesting a boy under 15 years of age, said Aomsin.

    Meanwhile, an American teacher who had been in jail since his arrest last year on child-sex charges was deported yesterday, the American Embassy in Bangkok said.

    Steven Erik Prowler, 57, allegedly paid two boys, aged 15 and 16, to perform oral sex. Following his arrest, police found more than 100 photos of naked Asian boys in his apartment, the embassy said. Prowler had worked in Bangkok as an English teacher at a government-run school.

    He will be tried in the U.S. for engaging in illicit sexual conduct in foreign countries. If convicted, Prowler could face up to 30 years in prison. – NATION/AGENCE FRNCE-PRESSE

  3. Troyhand said:
    Pattaya Mail – Friday July 22 – July 28, 2005

    British man arrested on child molestation charges
    Boonlua Chatree

    Nicholas John Rabet, a 56-year-old British national, has been arrested at his Central Pattaya residence on charges of child molestation and carnal knowledge of minors under 15. Inside the house were two boys aged 11. Officers confiscated 11 Gameboy machines and games along with cash and other items.

    Nicholas John Rabet being fingerprinted before placed in the local holding cell until his court appearance.

    Rabet was taken to Soi 9 for questioning. Details of how the arrest came about were not revealed, with police refusing to answer questions. However, Rabet’s modus operandi was explained. It is alleged that he would lure the boys to his home with offers of video games. One of the boys, a 12-year-old, told of how Rabet would ask them to undress when playing the games while Rabet had his way with them. They were paid 300 baht each time and the boys were given a “commission” if they brought in others. The boy, who cannot be named, said that Rabet had children at his house every day.

    Police also revealed that Rabet’s lascivious activities had been taking place over at least 11 years and that there were hundreds of children who had been subjected to the foreigner’s perversion.

    On Friday afternoon, a lawyer for Rabet showed up at Pattaya police station with 200,000 baht, requesting bail for his client. Pol Maj Sriprapar Suparattanachote, head of the children and women’s division, refused to allow bail on the basis that Rabet was a danger to society.

    Rabet’s legal representative was preparing for court proceedings to seek bail. If convicted, Rabet could face many years in a Thai prison.

  4. Troyhand said:

    Courtesy Bangkok Post Saturday 13th May 2006

    “A British man charged with child sex abuse in Pattaya has apparently committed suicide, while an American paedophile was deported to face further charges. The body of Nichols Rabet, 57, was found on a bed with hands and legs handcuffed and a plastic bag around his head. Police said there was no trace of any struggle. A suicide note said: “This is my only way out.” Last July, Rabet, a former deputy head at a British children’s home, was arrested in Pattaya and charged with multiple paedophile offences. He had been on bail for about 10 months and was found dead at his home in Bang Lamung. The man had been under extreme pressure as he was released on bail over accusations of having sex with an underage boy and was expected to stand trial on May 29, police said.

    The second paedophile found the taste of freedom to be bitter.
    Steven Erik Prowler, also 57, was extradited after spending a year in a Thai jail, and now will face more charges back home in California. “Americans who sexually exploit children anywhere in the world” will not be spared, Ann Hurst, attache to the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency, said yesterday. The agency has been working with its law enforcement partners overseas to bring Americans who have committed child sex crimes to stand trial at home.

    To send a message to the rest of the paedophile community, Prowler was yesterday deported and accompanied by ICE agents to the US. He will face charges of travelling with the intent to engage in illicit sexual conduct and engaging in illicit sexual conduct in foreign places, she said. Both charges carry a maximum imprisonment term of 30 years each. The 57-year-old English teacher at Ramkhamhaeng University’s Demonstration School had spent a year behind bars on charges of detaining and molesting minors. He was nabbed in May last year at his rented apartment in Bang Kapi district after having sex with two boys, aged 15 and 16. Police said Prowler admitted knowing the two boys for three or four years and paying them 250 baht each time they came over to offer sex services.

    With the assistance of ICE agents, police found at the apartment hundreds of photographs of naked teenage boys taken by Prowler, who had lived in the kingdom for six years. Police also recovered handwritten accounts of sexual encounters with underage boys in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Mexico and the US over the past 10 years.”

  5. Troyhand said:
    The Mail on Sunday (London, England) – June 11, 2006
    Last Month This Man Killed Himself in Thailand after Being Accused of Sexually Abusing 300 Boys. I Have to Ask the Disturbing Question: Would These Boys Have Suffered If Margaret Hodge’s London Council Had Not Protected Him? Many years Later One victim Spoke Out, only for Hodge to Discredit Him as ‘Disturbed’. I Can Reveal the Source of This Evil Slur was None Other Than the Paedophile Who Abused Him

    The text message from Mike Hames, the former Scotland Yard pornography squad chief, was blunt: ‘Rabet’s topped himself.

    It’s made my day.’ It arrived three weeks ago, as I was sitting in a sunny garden with Liz Davies, a woman with whom I had forged a deep and unlikely bond. We hadn’t seen each other for nine months and were talking about our kids.

    Then Liz’s mobile phone beeped, drawing us back to a far less pleasant-past, when we both had to deal with the pain of working with abused children.

    Liz and I had met in 1992. She was then a social worker who went on to help me and reporter Stewart Payne uncover a paedophile ring that had infiltrated children’s homes run by Islington Council.

    We discovered that paedophiles had penetrated the network of homes so completely that they had begun using them to procure children. The council had wanted to encourage gay men into childcare in the interests of equal opportunities, but this well-intentioned aim was so naively implemented that paedophiles posed as gay men to take advantage of the policy.

    The council exempted any man who said he was gay from needing professional qualifications or references, declared gay men less likely to abuse children than heterosexuals – as a matter of policy – and repeatedly assumed that any criticisms of men who claimed to be gay were motivated purely by homophobia.

    Even children who tearfully described abuse were considered prejudiced.

    The leader of Islington Council, Margaret Hodge, now a Trade Minister, had refused to believe our investigation-even though it was later vindicated by a series of damning independent reports. Her attacks on our investigation, and the fact the council mislaid or refused to believe vital evidence, led to crucial delays which allowed many of those responsible to escape prosecution or punishment.

    Among them was Nicholas John Rabet, who had fled to Thailand to continue his vile abuse of children.

    The 57-year-old bachelor was deputy superintendent of one of Islington’s children’s homes until 1989 and had been accused of abusing a boy there.

    He had strong links with other paedophiles involved in the scandal, some of whom also worked for Islington Council. Yet despite a lengthy police investigation, Rabet was never charged.

    Last month, however, his cycle of abuse ended with his suicide in Thailand, days before he was to face trial there.

    Police found him dead, a plastic bag over his head, his ankles locked together in cuffs, in his rented home in the sordid seaside resort of Pattaya, which has long had a reputation for child-sex tourism.

    Beside him was a pitiful suicide note. He had killed himself, he wrote, as ‘it is the only way to escape the stress of my life.’ Rabet had been due to face trial for molesting 30 underage Thai boys, some as young as six, and police believed he had abused up to 300 others. When they raided his home, they found 11 computer game consoles which he used to lure children, making ‘commission’ payments to those who brought him new victims.

    Now, with his death, I feel able to tell for the first time the full horrifying story of what happened in Islington more than a decade ago. The fact Rabet was allowed to escape and go on to abuse children in another country makes me wonder if there is any real justice for vulnerable children in the care of social services.

    And it also raises a disturbing question: could the 300 children in Thailand have been saved if Rabet and his cohorts had been jailed so many years ago? …

  6. Troyhand said:
    The Telegraph – 06 Apr 2014
    Jimmy Savile sex abuse: ‘Islington is still covering up’
    By Eileen Fairweather

    Two decades on from her expose of sexual abuse in children’s homes, Eileen Fairweather talks to the survivors too scared to go public

    Michael Gove has asked Islington Council for details of child abuse in the Seventies and Eighties, a scandal after which it shredded every incriminating file, sacked whistleblowers and smeared victims as mentally ill

    The man’s messages to the little girl sounded sweet. He reminded her that he was the friendly volunteer from the hospital, said he missed his poppet and hoped she’d write back. I found his messages online in a forum abroad for sick children. I don’t know if the child replied to him, and cannot now check, because the disease that hospitalised her has killed her. But I desperately hoped she never answered – this cheery guy is an alleged serial child rapist.

    This has been claimed by three traumatised women who once lived in a now-notorious Islington children’s home. The man was allowed to take them for “outings” to the park and an Islington worker’s nearby flat. There he allegedly abused them while the others were forced to watch. The youngest was five. The man is also suspected of procuring little girls from the home for Jimmy Savile.

    Michael Gove, the Education Secretary, announced in the Commons last month that the Metropolitan Police has identified 21 special schools and children’s homes in which Savile preyed on youngsters. Mr Gove named most, but said that the Islington home’s identity is unknown. I know its name, and suspect that Islington Council guesses it. Mr Gove trustingly asked the north-London council, exposed in the 1990s for employing paedophiles, pimps and child pornographers at all 12 of its children’s homes, to identify it. But how can Islington be trusted to uncover its own cover-up?

    The supposed mystery stems from a much larger cover-up by the then-Labour authority to protect the liberty of the evil and the reputations of the ambitious. Children – including dying little girls – are still in danger because few of the scores of perverts who infiltrated Islington’s care system between the Seventies and the Nineties have been brought to justice.

    Instead, Islington shredded every incriminating file, sacked whistleblowers and smeared victims as mentally ill.

    I worked on the London Evening Standard investigation that first exposed the Islington scandal. Along with a colleague, Stewart Payne, I spent three months in 1992 secretly interviewing terrified whistleblowing staff, parents and children before the newspaper published a damning investigation. It was promptly attacked by then-council leader Margaret Hodge as a “sensationalist piece of gutter journalism”. We were falsely accused of bribing children to make up their heartbreaking stories. Mrs Hodge has since apologised and explained that her officials lied to her.

    But the Standard’s then editor, the late Stewart Steven, proved indomitable. He funded us to keep digging – for three long years.

    The Standard’s dossiers of evidence generated 13 independent inquiries and won two British Press awards. The final, damning Ian White Report in 1995 responded to the newspaper’s 112-page dossier of evidence. Parents, children and staff reiterated to White the paper’s allegations – including that violent pimps openly collected children from the home, and were even allowed by staff to stay overnight in children’s rooms.

    White, then director of Oxfordshire social services, confirmed that Islington allowed at least 26 workers facing “extremely serious allegations” to leave its employ without investigation. Staff accused of everything from rape to child prostitution had been allowed to resign, often with good references. He described Islington as a “classic study” in how paedophiles target children, aided by the council’s naive interpretation of gay rights. “Equal opportunities… became a positive disincentive for challenge to bad practice… and a great danger”.

    He called for the 26 staff to be barred from childcare and investigated further, naming them in a confidential annexe. But almost none were. As the scandal raged, Islington destroyed records. Ian White confirmed that “this happened at assistant-director level”. He “found no evidence of collusion”. But he was not allowed to question Islington’s assistant director Lyn Cusack, or her staff.

    Mrs Cusack was married to a local senior police officer, Detective Superintendent Don McKay. She resigned in November 1993, citing personal reasons. Days earlier, the Standard had alerted the Social Services Inspectorate to Islington losing evidence requested by three different police forces investigating child sex rings, and the linked Paedophile Information Exchange (PIE).

    Islington was deeply influenced by and had many connection to the Paedophile Information Exchange. In the fatally naïve 1970s to mid 80s, PIE openly campaigned for sex to be legalised with children from age four, and for incest and child pornography to be legalised. The National Council for Civil Liberties – now Liberty – allowed it to affiliate and its then legal officer Harriet Harman wrote a paper effectively backing some PIE demands. The assumption in those “progressive” days was that paedophiles simply loved children and wanted to “liberate” their sexuality.

    Mrs Harman, whose role has been exposed in recent media stories, has described Margaret Hodge as her best friend in Parliament. Mrs Hodge’s late husband, Henry Hodge, also an Islington Labour councillor, earlier chaired the National Council for Civil Liberties. It is unknown if they ever discussed PIE.

    In 1985, Mrs Hodge announced that Islington Council would positively discriminate in favour of gay staff. It exempted self-declared gay men from background checks, and paedophiles pretending to be decent gay men cynically exploited this. It emerged that Islington deputy superintendent Michael Taylor was in PIE after he received a four-year prison sentence in July 2000 for abusing two boys at Islington’s Gisburne House in the Seventies.

    PIE founding member, Peter Righton, then Britain’s top “expert” on children’s homes, had even founded a training course for residential workers. Paedophilia, he declared in one essay, was “no more bizarre than a penchant for redheads”.

    At least one Islington abuse victim was placed – by a key member of the Islington abuse ring, Nick Rabet – at a special boarding school outside London with which Righton was closely involved. The victim haltingly disclosed his abuse to his Islington social worker, who was deeply concerned. But in 1989, the social worker vanished, supposedly carrying the victim’s files under his arm. When the Standard asked questions about the school, Islington denied ever sending any child there. It also lied about this to police.

    The White Report said that the social worker’s disappearance should be investigated by police. But it never was. This recommendation was redacted from the censored version of the report that Islington published last year. But I still have the original and live in hope of one day tracing that social worker. My understanding is that he was “heavied” and fled abroad.

    Police and social services inquiries into PIE were also abruptly shut down. This led to the senior child protection manager bravely blowing the whistle in 2012 to Tom Watson, whose PMQ about an establishment paedophile ring leading to No 10 silenced the Commons. PIE supplied children from homes to wealthy establishment figures. It was the ultimate cross-party crime, which many wanted buried.

    Sue Akers was a detective inspector and head of Islington police’s Child Protection Team at the scandal’s height. I begged her to study the paper’s evidence and place a believed child brothel under surveillance. But she refused to meet me. The failure of Islington police to act on intelligence provided by a terrified 13-year-old who admitted recruiting dozens of named children for three pimps was criticised by a secret 1993 inquiry into “Boy A”. But it was suppressed. Akers became a deputy assistant commander, responsible for all Metropolitan Police child-abuse investigations.

    Hodge’s successor, Derek Sawyer, ran the council between 1992 and 1994, when the abuse inquiries were set up, and became head of police and probation bodies, and chairman of the London Courts Board. In 2010, Sawyer’s partner in an international education business, Derek Slade, was imprisoned for 21 years for brutally abusing 12 boys at St George’s boarding school in Suffolk. There is no suggestion that Mr Sawyer knew his friend was a paedophile.

    As the Islington scandal dragged on, many of the alleged offenders simply moved abroad to prey on even poorer children. Like Jimmy Savile – and the Joker, as I have come to think of the hospital volunteer I mentioned earlier – some accessed children through charity work.

    For legal reasons we are unable to name the Joker and have concealed identifying details. The allegations against him were never examined, and it is possible that they are false or result from the confused memories of young children. The Standard was similarly unable at first to name any of the alleged child abusers on Islington’s payroll. But that changed when key ringleaders were arrested abroad. Astonishingly, so-called Third World police managed what Britain’s finest could not.

    Nicholas John Rabet, former deputy superintendent of Islington’s home at 114 Grosvenor Avenue, was charged in Thailand in 2006 with abusing 30 local boys – the youngest was six – and killed himself. I was finally able to describe his role in a nationwide child pornography ring serving wealthy British paedophiles; while ex-Cambridgeshire DC Peter Cook went on the record about how police inquiries here were mysteriously closed down.

    The arrest and death of fellow ringleader Bernie Bain, former superintendent of Islington’s home at 1 Elwood Street, made it possible to name him. Bain abused numerous boys in his care, including Demetrious Panton, whom Margaret Hodge secretly branded “extremely disturbed” to BBC bosses in an attempt to halt a documentary on what she knew of the scandal. Mr Panton – now a lawyer – forced her to apologise for this cruel slur in the High Court.

    Bain left Islington’s employ after Mr Panton, aged 11, revealed his abuse, which the council – influenced by PIE-type thinking – decided was “consensual”. The young victim spent the Eighties writing to Hodge’s councillors protesting otherwise. But Bain was left free to become a millionaire through a mysterious travel company. After the Standard started publishing, he fled to Morocco and was imprisoned there in 1996 for abusing children. He killed himself in 2000.

    Detective Chief Superintendent John Sweeney, who took over Islington police’s child protection team after the scandal was exposed, traced long-ignored victims. He told me: “When I first learnt about the homes, I thought it couldn’t possibly be that bad. But it was worse.”

    In the years since the White Report of 1995, more victims and abusers have come to light. However, Islington’s wholesale destruction of key files has enabled the council to avoid responsibility. I was asked in 2009 to help a solicitor representing one of Bain’s victims, who now suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder. Islington denied that this person was in their care as a child, and even that they ever employed Bain. The basis of their denial? They had no records for either.

    Mr Panton revealed last week: “Just yesterday, I made a witness statement on behalf of someone who was also horribly abused by Bain. I knew him as a kid and his life and health have been destroyed by what happened to him. But Islington has denied any responsibility. So Islington is still covering up.”

    I tracked down the Joker last autumn after I was given his details by someone who helped expose the scandal. I have known Shelley, as I shall call her, for many years and trust her forensic mind. She is concerned with protecting his three alleged victims as they remain traumatised. She knew nothing about the girls’ sufferings until Karen, the eldest, broke down and blurted out their story.

    They were not yet ready, she said, to talk to the press or police. Many abuse survivors can only reveal what they suffered bit by bit – some suffer a self-protective partial amnesia. One was buggered at just five years old. I asked Shelley if it was possible she was being spun a fantasy. But she remembered the girl from care, and other details about what had occurred there.

    Today Shelley has a good job, as does Karen. “Karen is very smart and sophisticated. But when she told me what happened, she fell apart. It was like she’d ripped off a scab. Afterwards she spent the day in bed, just crying.”

    It is understood that, as adults in the early Noughties, two of the Joker’s alleged victims contacted the council, hoping for justice; that the council awarded them a smallish sum in compensation; and informed them the man had moved abroad and police could not find him.

    Did Islington even alert police? It took me just two days to find him. I wept when I realised that he was accessing terminally ill children in an impoverished country. I discovered from his messages that the expat seemed lonely and kind. He wore funny hats to cheer up the children.

    As a volunteer, he now visited them in hospital and at their homes. One unsuspecting mother said he was like a caring older relative in their time of need, and even invited him to stay. I found a photo of him at one hospital. I showed it to Shelley. She wasn’t taken in by his friendly grin: “That’s him. God, he’s ugly.”

    When I learnt about the Joker, I spoke to Liz Davies, the former Islington senior social worker who blew the whistle on perverts targeting the council’s homes. Dr Davies is now Reader in Social Work at London Metropolitan University. I asked her how anyone could abuse a dying child. “Dead children can’t give evidence,” said Dr Davies. “There’s a training DVD about it. Some paedophiles target them.”

    A reporter anonymously admitted last year that he had found Jimmy Savile on a mattress at the BBC with a little girl. She was bald, a cancer victim at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, where Savile “volunteered”. Savile hissed that if the reporter told anyone, his career was over. The reporter stayed silent.

    Karen told Shelley: “None of us talked much as kids about what was being done to us… we felt ashamed. But the other girls mentioned being required to travel in Jimmy Savile’s taxis.”

    Savile’s charity projects included ferrying disadvantaged children in taxis to places like Blackpool Pleasure Beach. At least one Islington survivor recalls being taken there by his abuser.

    Child protection investigators have long been aware that corrupt taxi drivers are commissioned by paedophiles to transport children: “kids on wheels”, it has been called. One taxi driver was imprisoned in 1990 for prostituting boys. The same year, the Islington Gazette proudly recorded Jimmy Savile’s visit to open the council’s new housing complex for disabled people. The story focused on the likes of a three-year-old with cerebral palsy and a paralysed woman who had been at Stoke Mandeville.

    Once this story is published, Shelley and I will give police the information we have. But she and the victims do not feel able to confide in police without the protection of media coverage.

    What is certain is that neither these victims nor any others have much trust in Islington Council coming clean with the name of the home where abuse took place, as requested by Mr Gove. This is because the current Islington cabinet member with responsibility for children and family services is Joe Caluori – the son-in-law of Margaret Hodge.

    Mr Panton said: “Do I think it is right that Margaret Hodge’s son-in-law now has this key position? Of course not. He may be a fine councillor, but I would think it is better that he is not in this position, given the association. While the politicians of the Eighties have moved on, their influence is still highly visible. It cannot be appropriate for any inquiry into this matter to be overseen by this MP’s relative.”

    Mr Panton believes that “an independent police investigation into Islington is crucial. I know many abuse survivors who have not yet contacted Islington or the police. There is a real lack of trust – it is hard to tell your story when you risk being disbelieved or attacked.”

    The whistleblower Dr Davies adds: “I think there could be more than one home with Savile connections. Children from Islington’s home at 114 Grosvenor Avenue were taken to Jersey by Rabet, and Savile visited Jersey’s Haut de la Garenne home. Survivors of abuse there have described being taken to an Islington children’s home.”

  7. Troyhand said:
    July 30, 2006 by Heinrich manoeuvre
    Pattaya: City of Lemmings

    Pattaya, the ‘Riviera of Thailand’, located about 165 km southeast of Bangkok on the east coast in the province of Chon Buri. It is one of the largest centers of tourism in Thailand, with some 5 million visitors arriving last year. A great deal of those visitors are westerners, many of whom decide to stay indefinitely and who today represent perhaps twelve percent of the total city’s resident population which totals 95,000.

    Pattaya’s so-so beaches are not the main reason for its popularity though, and it is not without reason that it is known as Thailand’s premium sin city, with an estimated 25,000 people directly involved in the sex trade.

    Pattaya’s reputation as a merry-go-round sex-circus or carnal carnival is complimented by various economic advantages which many western male punters seem to find attractive. The younger of that set are content to give Pattaya the odd nudge and after a daring taste of this sin-city, return to a sedate life back over the western horizon with perhaps a souvenier sheaf of Rakit?s black-market snapshots, a smattering of Thai words such as ‘Chak Wao’, and a tale to tell the mates of sexual wild abandon with a cat-eyed nymph or two.

    Perhaps some stories are not bragged about and traded on return to Manchester or Bristol or Sydney or Copenhagen – heart-warming memories held sacred and dear – such as the corn-holing of a billy-boy in Boyztown.

    It all appears sweet and peachy. So why is it not a month goes by without another Ex-pat suicide in Pattaya makes the news? In fact, recently it has become such a custom that describing the trend as ‘Lemmings like’ would not be too inaccurate.

    On the night of February 7th Police were called to Jomtien Plaza Condotel where, on the deck of the 5th floor, police found the body of a foreigner later identified as 45 year-old British citizen Christopher John Prees. Near the body police found an exercise machine with blood marks and pieces of his shirt on it. Police concluded that the deceased tied himself to the machine and intentionally flung himself over the balcony of his apartment on the 25th floor. Apparently he smoked some marijuana, slashed his left arm, wrote a farewell letter to his girlfriend and then plunged to his death. His suicide note revealed he was ready to die for love.

    Drunk and confused, Austrian national Bernhard Radlelger threatens to jump from a 4th floor balcony at Sunee Plaza, Pattaya. — PATTAYA MAIL 14th March 2006

    On Saturday 6th May 2006, a desperate German man attempts suicide in Naklua. Rescue workers arrived and found the German national, Mr. Reinhold Erbe on his bed. A razor was on the floor next to the bed and his left wrist was bleeding profusely. He was placed on a stretcher and taken to Hospital where he was treated for deep lacerations. His girlfriend, Khun Satidar aged 30 gave an insight into his emotional state reporting that he had run out of money and was waiting for a bank transfer from Germany which never came. He fell into a deep depression when she mentioned that they will now have to separate.

    Earlier that same day on Saturday 6th May, the body of an Estonian man was recovered from the sea off Pattaya Beach. Beach-goers noticed, what appeared to be, a body floating face-down in the water and immediately alerted Police. Police and rescue workers arrived at the scene and recovered the body of Mr. Mati Baranov aged 35 from Estonia. Police estimate the man had been dead for at least 10 hours.

    Six days later on Friday 12th of May Pattaya police were called to house number 241/54 in Central Pattaya to investigate an apparent suicide of an English National. Inside the master bedroom was the body of Mr. Nicholas John Rabet aged 54 from Jersey in the UK. A plastic bag had been taped around his head and he had apparently handcuffed his hands to his leg. Near the body was a suicide note which read ‘Sorry I have to leave like this but it is the only way to escape the stress of my life. Thank you to everyone who has tried to help me through it, but this seems to be my only way out, signed Nick’.

    Thirteen days later on Thursday 25th May 2006, police from the Dongtan sub-station based on Jomtien each were called to the Hagonee Condominium Block on the Tepprasit Road in Jomtien on to investigate the death of a foreign man at the location. Room number 605/80 on the 4th Floor is occupied by Mr. Michael John Stiles aged 58 from Sutton Colefield in England. Police checked the room and the body of Mr. Stiles and found nothing to suggest anything suspicious. The man was estimated to have passed away 2 to 3 hours before he was found and the presence of medication inside the room suggested to Police that the man was suffering from some form of illness which may have claimed his life.

    Two weeks later on Friday 9th June 2006, Police Lieutenant Aneewat from Pattaya Police Station made his way to Room number 215 at the Sutut Court in Soi Beokeow, Central Pattaya after cleaners entered the room on Thursday Evening after the man who occupied the room failed to answer the door. Staff initially thought that he had left the room without settling his rent. Using a spare key, staff entered the room and found the naked man lying dead on the balcony next to an Air-conditioner compressor unit. The body of Mr. Rudi Kurt Vieth aged 62 from Germany was checked and no signs of trauma could be found and nothing inside the room aroused suspicion.

    The next day on Saturday 10th June 2006, a French national Mr. Dihrisso Mamadol aged 31, went out to the Tiffany Shooting Range in North Pattaya, and using a 9mm semi-automatic hand gun hired from the Shooting Range, shot himself in the head.Inside his trouser pocket was a suicide note in English Language which stated that he was broken hearted over a Thai woman who had recently left him after a lengthy relationship. Once again the Tiffany Shooting Range is under the spotlight with three suicides in the last year.

    On Monday 3rd July 2006, Police Lieutenant Colonel Apimook from Dongtan Police Sub-Station based on Jomtien Beach was called to the Lalana Garden Village in Soi Chayapreuk to investigate the apparent suicide of a Dutch man inside apartment number 444/364. The body of Mr. Jan Job Vonk aged 48 from Holland was slumped over the bed. An initial inspection of the body indicated multiple lacerations to his wrists and hands. Blood stains filled the room suggesting a slow and painful death. The sharp implement thought to have been used was found and it appears that he made the initial cut whilst sitting in his living room.

    The next evening on Tuesday 4th July 2006, Police were called to the Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital to investigate another suicide case involving a foreign national. Police inspected the body of Mr. Jarle Neteland aged 27 from Norway. Mr. Neteland had been taken to the Emergency Department by his friend after complaining of a fever. Doctors were also told he was suffering from severe depression. Mr. Neteland was admitted to room number 511 on the 5th floor. At around 6pm he apparently jumped from the room window.

    The next day on Wednesday 5th July 2006, a Belgium national Mr. Frans Vilenick aged 39 jumps to his death from the Center Condo Complex located just off the South Pattaya Road next to the Chaimongkon Temple. The man lived in a 6th Floor condo for 10 years. His girlfriend, Khun Saowalak aged 39 mentioned that he was due to return to Belgium as he had run out of money, and a taxi had been booked to collect him from the complex at 10pm. He did not live to catch that cab though as he made his way to the 16th floor of the Complex and jumped to his death. Inside his trouser pocket was a suicide note which read:

    ‘Dear Nok and My Family and Friends, I am very sorry but I have to leave you behind. After 10 years in Thailand, I don’t have the spirit anymore to go back. Sorry to disappoint you.

    Signed Frans.
    PS. Mother. Please for Nok pay for the cremation and give her some money because I’m leaving her behind with nothing.’

    Why is it that nearly all of these expat suicide cases choose such violent methods to end their worst nightmare – running out of dosh and being forced to return to European society? Surely, if they knew their funds were running low and the worst was going to come to the worst why didn’t they go peaceably and euthanase themselves with an overdose of H and barbiturates?

    Purge of the Suicided Nonces?

  8. Troyhand said:
    The Nation – July 18, 2005
    Rabet was on UK sex-offender watchlist

    A Briton arrested on underage sex charges in Pattaya last week was placed on a British government register over 10 years ago as a person not to be employed with children.

    Nicholas Rabet was the deputy head of a children’s home in the London borough of Islington for 15 years.

    ****After being accused of offences against a young boy and being put on the Health Department’s Consultancy Register, he left to open a private youth activity centre in East Sussex, which was described as a kind of “Never Never Land”, where children could ride motorbikes and play computer games.****

    Rabet, 56, was detained on Thursday at a rented house in Pattaya with 11 game machine consoles, snacks and plastic bags filled with clothes of children who came to play at his place, police said.

    Rabet offered his house as a free game arcade for children aged between 6-14 on the condition they took off their clothes while playing the games to prevent them from stealing game cassettes.

    A bell would be hung on the front door to show that he was at home and the boys could come to play.

    “We’ve charged him with molesting children aged under 15, no matter whether it was consensual or not,” Police Colonel Preecha Soonthornsiri said.

    Rabet could face a maximum jail term of five years if found guilty.

    ****An independent enquiry by Oxfordshire County Council Social Services chief showed that several members of Islington Social Services were under suspicion of being child abusers but had not been properly investigated because they had been stifled by political correctness and a rigid adherence to equal opportunities for gay employees.****

    ****Rabet was also accused in an investigation by the London Evening Standard of abusing a boy at The Stables Activity Centre in Sussex, which had been left to him in a will.****

    ****Two associates of his at The Stables were also accused of child abuse. One Neil Hocquart, 40, a photographer, committed suicide after his home was raided by police. A second Walter Clack was fined for possessing child pornography.****

    ****Police took away photographs from Rabet’s home. But a case was never brought against him although he was placed on an NCIS (National Criminal Intelligence Service) watch list.****

    Rabet had been living in Pattaya for several years after repeatedly being given a visa extensions.

    Police Colonel Naradet said the raid on his house in Soi Yoimi in Central Pattaya was made after complaints from teachers of young boys. During the raid two boys were found at his house.

    “It is alleged he may have abused up to 300 boys over a 10-year period,” he said.

    According to the boys found in the house, they would receive small tips of Bt20 up to Bt1,000 for sexual services ranging from oral sex to anal sex.

    The boys would also earn commission if they could find other willing boys who could come to the man’s house at SS Villa, just behind the Carrefour shopping center.

    Other evidence collected included games machines, lubricating jelly and Viagra tablets.

    Rabet declined to comment or make a statement without a lawyer present. He is seeking bail, which is often given to alleged sex offenders in Pattaya.

    Sudarat Sereewat, general secretary of Thailand’s Coalition to Fight Against Child Exploitation, said that she would try and oppose bail.

  9. Troyhand said:
    Suicide and the Publicly Exposed Pedophile
    Malays J Med Sci. 2012 Oct-Dec; 19(4): 50–56.

    Neil Hocquart (40 years; 1991) was a photographer associated with Nichols Rabet (see later) and a large group of other pedophiles at a privately funded children’s activity center, “The Stables”. He died of a drug overdose in London, after police raided his house and confiscated 300 pornographic videos and 100 pornographic photographs. Hocquart, born Foster, took the name from a Guernsey sailor. Captain Hocquart willed considerable wealth to Foster, and soon after, died of an apparent heart attack. At this time, Rabet fled to Thailand (18).

    Nichols Rabet (57 years; 2006) handcuffed his hands to his ankles, taped a plastic bag over his head and died of suffocation, in Pattaya, Thailand, days before he was to appear in court on multiple pedophile offences, including sex acts with children as young as six years. He had been on bail for 10 months. Rabet was a British citizen. He had been the deputy head of a councilrun children’s home in London but left after being accused of child molestation. His name was placed on a register of people deemed unsuitable to work with children. He then financed and operated a children’s activity center in Sussex, called ‘The Stables’ (his money was left to him by an elderly woman he had befriended-events similar to those by which his colleague, Neil Hocquart, came into money). Rabet fled to Thailand in the 1980s, when accused of molestation of children. His suicide note read: “Sorry I have to leave like this but it is the only way to escape the stress of my life” (24).

%d bloggers like this: